Serves 4 (as a side dish)
1 ½ cups of organic walnuts
2 large bunches of organic kale, stems removed
200g of goat’s feta
2 tablespoons organic maple syrup
Continental parsley, handful
3 sprigs of mint, leaves only
1 tablespoon of cold pressed, extra virgin olive oil
- Pre-heat oven to 140 – 160 degrees celsius (fan forced).
- Line baking tray with baking paper, spread walnuts on tray and drizzle with maple syrup.
- Using your hands, work the maple syrup over the walnuts to ensure nuts are well coated. Roast for 20 minutes or until golden and caramelised, turning over at approx. 10 – 15 minutes through roasting process to ensure even roasting of the walnuts.
- Prepare salad bowl by washing kale in filtered water. Tear the leaves away from the stems in small edible pieces and place in the salad bowl.
- Drizzle olive oil over kale leaves. Create some ‘kale love’ by massaging the olive oil in to the kale leaves. This will soften the leaves and make the kale easier to digest.
- Roughly chop a handful of parsley, add to the salad. Add mint leaves.
- Thinly slice pears removing core and add to the salad.
- Remove walnuts from the oven and cool.
- When cooled, add to the salad. Using your hands lightly toss the ingredients evenly. Salt to taste.
- Dice feta and add to the salad!
Great as a fresh side dish or equally delicious as a main! Will keep for 2 days, however if preparing early leave the pear and feta prior to serving as the pear will discolour if left.
Any variety of feta can be used in this recipe however, I prefer to use goat’s feta as it is slightly milder on the stomach than the diary varieties.
A Naked Gardiner recipe, photo is the property of The Naked Gardiner.